Wednesday, June 25, 2014

the 9/50



I was fortunate to have been a part of a recent gathering at the Atlanta Center for Contemporary Art.  The 9/50 Summit brought together, by invitation, many different art non-profit and organizations from the Southeast.  The hope was connection, knowledge sharing, "placemaking" and community. There was a panel, boasting Chad Alligood from Chrystal Bridges, among others, on Regionalism in Visual Art and exhibitions as well.

I attended to represent Seed Space, a Nashville-based non-profit for which I serve on the Board of Directors, I was also honored to meet so many inspiring art administrators and artists from other cities in our region.  Bottom line: artists/thinkers are the most hopeful and hardworking people I know.  Many of you travel around the country, so should you find yourselves in these cities, go see what these organizations are doing with their communities and artists.

Elsewhere Collaborative, Greensboro, NC

This place is run out of a three story THIRFT STORE turned Museum.  The items are housed to inspire collaboration, writing and installation.  They host artists for residencies, and will even let you "camP' there overnight.


Good Weather, North Little Rock, AR

I am a biased Arkansan, but I love that Haynes Riley set up a gallery, with support from his entire family (from providing space to cooking meals) on the I 40 Corridor.  I can't wait to collaborate with Good Weather for my plans to one day host a "residency" in East Nashville.

Cress Gallery, East TN State Univ

One of the best galleries in our country, and so close.  They also have a great lecture series.  So happy to have finally met Ruth Grover.

Paradise of Bachelors, Carborro, NC

Thanks to these guys, I now know that "Jody" is a whole genre of early Southern folk/soul music.  Doing really great things with less known artists and spoken word, and even someguys from Nashville have put out a record with them.


So many more of these organizations listed on the 9/50 Summit---ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment